Tuesday 30 July 2013

First Harvest

Heading out to my veggie patch, trug in hand I go in search of home grown produce.....


With recent sunny weather and a sprinkling of rain, things are certainly moving! The runner beans are actually running now, though they weren't helped by the munchings of a herd of deer last week!! Leeks have been transplanted and a new row of carrots and beetroots have been sown. 

The cabbages look sadly skeletal, it seems the local pheasant population have been feasting on them and I noticed the cabbage white butterflies were at the party yesterday, so I doubt Savoy will be part of our Christmas dinner :-(

Veggie gardening is a bit of a learning curve for me, hopefully next year I will have a bit more of a clue!  However, there have been some successes. Carrots, beetroot and courgette from outside. Cucumber, chilli pepper, lettuce and raddish from inside. Tomatoes, aubergines, potatoes, parsnips and sweet peppers on the way. It makes me happy to be picking and eating our own fresh veg. Nothing is wasted, the chickens enjoy the beetroot and carrot tops.

Collect up your courgette flowers and fry them in some coconut oil, they are (suprisingly) delish!!




No comments:

Post a Comment